Sunday, June 1, 2014

Green Pops!

Between my daughter’s teething and being mindful of her iron intake (in part due to us doing baby led weaning and therefore skipping all purees, including baby cereal), I decided to make some frozen, iron fortified treats!

Ingredients:

  • 15 leave of raw spinach (high in iron)
  • One Mango (Vitamin C helps with the absorption of iron)
  • 5 oz breastmilk (good for everything!)

I started with doing a rough chop of the mango (I snuck a few pieces for my gal to gnaw on for breakfast, too).  I put this in my food processor with the spinach.

IMG_1052

Blend well until liquified.  I then poured this mixture into a measuring cup so that the transfer into the ice cube tray would be easier since there’s a spout.  I folded in my 5 oz of breastmilk and stirred well.

IMG_1055

Next step:  Pour into the ice cube tray.  I filled mine about 2/3 full and it filled up the whole tray that way.

IMG_1060

I froze them for a few hours until solid.  Then, I popped them out of the ice tray and put them in a ziplock bag for easy access in the future (and so I could have my ice tray back!).

IMG_1117

I put mine in a mesh feeder, though if you had ice pop makers, you could just serve these on a stick as well.  It was a hit with my 8.5 month old!

IMG_1131

No comments:

Post a Comment